Monday, December 27, 2010

restaurant review 2010: cafe

So, we eat a lot of sandwiches in the Stringer household.  I'm not a big fan of your super chain sandwich stops {especially subway} but sometimes they meet my needs for a quick re-fueling that is somewhat healthy.  I do enjoy trying new places that offer more than your average turkey and bread combination.

We have always enjoyed Magnolia Cafe and Bakery.  This place is seriously delicious, although the mister tends to joke that he has to check his manhood at the door before entering.  It's a bit girly, but they make great sandwiches and fancy treats {cakes, pies, cookies}.  My favorite item on the menu has to be the avocado sandwich.  I'm not vegetarian, but this sandwich is a must.

LePeep is a new{er} find for us.  There's a LePeep we pass around town quite a bit and we always said we would try it... so one Saturday morning we had 'brunch' at LePeep and walked away pretty impressed.  I had the lite migas and the mister had some kind of skillet dish that tasted pretty amazing.  This place had a neighborhood feel to it - kind of like everyone knew each other.  That feeling seems to be pretty hard to find these days and it was pretty cool to know there are still a few places like that.

Recently, we visited Garden Cafe.  This place is super cute.  They are only open from 8am to 2pm six days a week for breakfast and lunch.  It's a little tucked away place with a charming garden {would love to go back when the weather is a little warmer to enjoy the patio} and great food.  I had their chicken salad sandwich and the mister enjoyed some breakfast tacos.  Next time I think we will have to venture out on a Saturday just to try the herb roasted chicken {pictured}. 

The mister and I have seriously discussed re-visiting Main Street Bistro and Bakery.  They have the best mac n cheese with bacon {delicious}.  They also have crepes on the menu, which I can't wait to try...along with everything from their dessert counter!

We have a few other favorites around town including Cafe Brazil {migas}, Baker Brothers {kowloon salad or Texas star}, Cafe Max {chicken salad}, and Snappy Salads {make your own}.  What are your favorite cafes in the Dallas area? 

No comments: