Sunday, November 21, 2010

t-giving challenge: saturday - home

I am thankful we have a home.  We have a roof over our heads and shelter from the storm.  We have been blessed with a wonderful house with room to grow and a great neighborhood.  The commute is a bit long when heading downtown, but sometimes I enjoy sitting in traffic and having the opportunity to clear my head or listen to my jams. 

We have so much more than the rest of the world when it comes to shelter.  Sure, I look at those crazy home magazines or shows on HGTV... and there is an occassional twinge of desire for the grandiose loft featured on Selling New York


But, then I come back to reality and know such lavish purchases are unnecessary and often don't serve a purpose to meet the needs of those who have-not.  I am always amazed by the stats calculated if you condensed this great big world into 100 people.  According to the site, 25 people would not have shelter from the elements.  Something we take so easily for granted, whether we live in a spacious home or shoebox apartment, is unfathomable for one-fourth of the world's population.  I am challenged to think about the 25% of our world who have no safe haven and am quickly humbled to realize my furniture wish-list is fleeting and not crucial.  The material treasures I desire will bring only light and momentary fulfillment.  My wealth may seem miniscule to celebrities and CEOs but a fortune to the rest of the world.  I am so richly blessed!

No comments: