Today I am thankful for my education. I know a lot of people take it for granted {and I'm sure I do as well a lot of the time} but it is an incredible blessing. I keep going back to the site with statistics on what our world would like if it were condensed to 100 people and the information just blows me away. Essentially, one person (1%) has a college education. It's crazy how caught up we can get by comparing ourselves to millionaires and celebrities, but simply having my college degree means I am pretty privileged.
I am grateful for my family who worked hard to support my siblings and me to ensure we had a good education. My parents pushed us to earn good grades to help us go to college. These good grades paid off and relieved some of the financial burden from my parents based on generous scholarship donors who believed in the importance and value of a quality education. I was incredibly fortunate to attend ACU where I have been equipped to perform well in the marketplace. I have so many wonderful memories from college between the lifelong friends I made and the husband I married. I love the ACU culture... where everyone really does kind of know everyone else. It was much more than a college - it was my community. I learned a lot about myself during college and I know I wouldn't be who I am or where I am without the friends and professors who challenged me during those four years. I met people who were real and authentic... who didn't care what the world thought about them... who knew without a doubt that this life is not the end and there is hope. I met people who encouraged me... who believed in me... who knew the life lessons learned would carry me forward.
I had so many wonderful opportunities in college from Siggies to study abroad to a summer in New Zealand. I am so grateful for all of these blessings and for the education gained during each experience. Through club, I learned to see others as they were. I learned just how much we can truly accomplish when we come together. I learned the importance of strong friendships. Through study abroad, I learned how to navigate foreign countries. I learned how to put our heads together as a team and provide companies with valuable recommendations. I learned that though this world is huge, we are all people who hunger for something more. Through my summer in New Zealand, I learned how to drive on the left side of the road. I learned to stop and appreciate my surroundings. I learned the importance of mentors. I learned that there are people just like me halfway across the globe ready to make a difference.
I learned a lot in class as well. I can say I enjoyed probably 80-90% of my courses - not only because of the content, but often because of the professor. I don't know a lot of people outside of ACU who can say they knew their professors on a personal level... that they attended dinners at their houses or met them for coffee. My professors were key mentors during my time in college and weren't afraid to be honest about the 'real world'. I knew when I graduated that I had earned a wonderful education and was equipped to start my career successfully. But my professors taught me so much more than what was written in the textbooks. They gave me an education full of perspective... that I am not 'owed' anything and will have to continue to work hard at whatever I do with all of my heart. They taught me that life isn't always fair and that there will be tough days at work or difficult situations. They taught me that it's not about the money or the job title but it's about what you make a priority. They taught me to always act with integrity and above all to show love to others.
{sweet Siggies}
{NZ countryside}



No comments:
Post a Comment